Welcome to the most ‘tasteful’ page of our site!
Adjustments in diet oftentimes are made for an FOD child/adult because fats cannot be broken down completely, so the amount of fat may be limited to about 20% of one’s total calories per day. For some, it may also include adding special formulas or supplements (i.e. Portagen, MCT Oil). Yet, making those adjustments doesn’t mean that recipes have to be ‘blah!’
Families have shared with us some of their favorites recipes, as well as various nutritional resources that have been helpful to them when making those changes in diet. However, before making any of the recipes, be aware that some ingredients may not be appropriate for all FODers (i.e. MCT Oil should NOT be given to MCADers, SCADs, and possibly others with FODs). If you have any questions, please refer to your medical or nutritional professionals.
- Find a Metabolic Dietitian
- Children’s Medical Nutrition Alliance (United States)
- Mayo Clinic’s Food and Nutrition Center
- Special ‘Meals For You’ Lowfat Diet Recipes
- Low Protein Recipes (GAII/MADD individuals need to watch BOTH fat and protein)
- Sweet Solution for Food Allergies
- Fat free Vegan Recipes
- American Dietetic Association
- Abbott Nutrition Metabolic Products
- Nutricia North America (clinical nutrition)
- Nutricia’s Map of Reimbursement coverage
- Mead Johnson Nutritionals
- Genetic Metabolic Dietitians International (GMDI)
- GMDI Nutrition Guidelines for MCAD
- 2019 Updated Nutrition Guidelines for VLCAD
- Solace Nutrition – coQ10 product
- USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory
- Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
- FDA/CFSAN Overview of Dietary Supplements
- Hearts Enteral, LLC (Enteral nutrition and billing services)
Please note: Mead Johnson has slightly changed the formulation of Portagen and made some new recommendations about its use. Those updates can be found on their website. If you have an infant (0-12 months) on Portagen, please check with your Metabolic Dietitian and/or Metabolic Doctor to be sure your baby doesn’t need anything added to their diet. This note does not apply to older children on Portagen.
MCT Oil is now sold through Nestle Nutrition. MCT Oil is a modular source of Medium Chain Triglycerides for patients unable to to digest or absorb conventional fats (not used for ALL the FODs however). You should consult your Dr on the use of this product. Refer to the Nestle Healthcare Nutrition for further information.
You might be able to have your pharmacist examine this oil to compare the quality/ingredients to the other Oil. Another 100% MCT Oil option is through NOW® – their MCT Oil is Pharmaceutical Grade (USP) and contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.
Nutricia Metabolics has an FOD medical food product called Monogen. It is a formula for long chain disorders (not used for all the FODs). It is available through Nutricia North America. Please visit the product page for more information.
Vitaflo also has some products for our long chain disorders ~ Lipistart is a nutritionally complete, powdered formula for the dietary management of disorders of long chain fatty acid oxidation and some other disorders. Lipistart is high in MCT (90%) and low in LCT (10%). MCT Procal is a neutral tasting powder that can be added to any food or savor items. It does not change the flavor of foods and is very soluble in liquids. Vitaflo has created a MCT Procal Recipe Guide as well. And S.O.S is a product that adds carbohydrate calories to diets without adding fat and protein calories.
Low-Fat Recipes, Products and ‘FUN-to-Read’ Cook Books
- Translated Dutch MCT Cookbook
- Lowfat Recipe Blog from an adult FODer in Norway
- Lowfat Diet with MCT Cookbook [*please use Pauline’s new email email@example.com if you would like more info on MCT oil recipes]
- Looneyspoons: Low-fat Food Made Fun ©1996 Granet Publishing, Inc.
- Crazy Plates: Low-fat Food So Good, You’ll Swear It’s Bad For You! ©1999 Granet Publishing, Inc.
- Skinny Cow Lowfat Products
- MCT Oil Recipe Book (MCT Procal)
Recipe Books for Really Low-Fat, Healthy Recipes
Recipes from the Weimar Kitchen
PO Box 486
Weimar, CA 95736
This one was developed as low-fat, no cholesterol, vegetarian, and no added sugar!
The McDougall Health-Supporting Cookbook
John McDougall, MD
c/o PO Box 14039
Santa Rosa, CA 95402
Submitted by: Sheri Sandstrom
The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking (More than 600 kitchen-tested, easy-to-make, light and healthy recipes) by Sandra Woodruff, RD.
Submitted by: Diane Nelson